Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Candied Yams

Candied Yams

Yeah I know, sounds a bit odd. What are yams and why are they candied...

Yams - they are called yams but are basically sweet potatoes...that's the information I have. But hey they taste good so whatever they are called is fine by me. These have orange flesh and red skin and go all soft and gooey when cooked.

So that's all you need. Yams, butter and salt.

Wash and dry the yams. Roast them on a cookie sheet that's lined with foil or parchment paper.

350 degrees for about 90 minutes or till completely soft.

Peel off the skin, scoop the flesh into a oven proof dish. Add butter (as much as you like) and a bit of salt to cut the sweetness.

Back they go into the oven, at 350 for another 30 minutes.

That's it.

Well yeah I left out the marshmallows. You can add the marshmallows to the scooped out flesh before you pop them in the oven again and bake till the marshmallows are all melted and gooey. But I find that the yams are sweet enough without the marshmallows, so I omit them. But go ahead and add them if you have a sweet tooth.

Yummy Yams!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Vangyache bharit... Hot

This is a different style of bharit. This is more common in the Nagpur region, where my father's family came from. It's my personal ...