Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Fried Sole- CKP style

I am from Mumbai and I miss eating the umpteen varieties of fish we get there. But I am a fish eater wherever in the world I am and I learn to cook and enjoy all the local fish from every new place.
When we came to Canada we discovered Dover sole. I searched for recipes and found some very good ones- but I kind of wanted to try it Indian style. I found the texture was similar to Bombay duck, though sole is firmer than bombay duck. But its a delicate white flesh fish which marries well with Indian spices.
You can only pan fry this fish though, no fish curry here- the fish tends to melt into the curry. So here goes...

A pound of sole fillets (about 4-5 fillets)
1tablespoon ginger- garlic paste (very fine paste)
1/2 teaspoon thick tamarind pulp
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
salt and red chili powder as per taste.
rice flour and fine semolina (to dredge the fish)
oil for frying

wash and fry the fillets, and pat dry. Apply the salt, turmeric, chili powder, ginger-garlic paste and let marinate for about 15-20 minutes. Apply the tamarind paste and let sit for 5 minutes or so ( not too long as the tamarind tends to cook the fish and dry it out.)
Heat oil in your pan, mix equal amounts of rice flour and fine semolina, dredge the fillet in the mixture, make sure the entire fillet is coated. Fry on medium heat till crisp. The fish cooks very fast, but you want the coating to crisp up.

Goes very well with a cold beer. Enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Vangyache bharit... Hot

This is a different style of bharit. This is more common in the Nagpur region, where my father's family came from. It's my personal ...